We turned our garage sale into a Monster sale. Our signs were bright orange with spooky eyes and I put bright orange plastic tablecloths on all of the tables. Yes, I was teased by family and friends for having a themed garage sale. But I say, whatever works. The sale was rained out on Thursday so we spent most of the day setting up. Thursday night I got the bright idea that Jacob could sell Halloween cookies. So we went to the store to buy supplies and Jacob made his very own sign. I almost cried it was so cute! I woke up extra early on Friday morning and made chocolate cookies with orange M&Ms for Jacob to sell. He was so excited to have his very own table to sit at and to collect his own money in Claire's candy bucket.
The cookies didn't last long. I think people felt sorry for him sitting out in the cold. Or maybe it was Jacob running down the driveway after people who passed them up. I couldn't believe how busy we were on Friday. People were lining up before I even had all of the tables put out . We dressed in layers but were still shivering by the end of the day. Greg and I rewarded ourselves by putting the kids to bed early, getting some Applebees takeout, and watching The Office and Flash Forward online. Lame to some, a treat for us.
Friday was so busy that we decided to stay open on Saturday too. What a great day! It's gotta be Kansas when the weather is frigid one day and balmy the next. A great day for the sale and for trick-or-treating! The kids 'helped out' with the sale in the morning and played in the leaves Greg was raking most of the afternoon.
Finally we packed up the garage sale and took a quick nap before it was time to put on our costumes. Halloween is finally here!!! Jacob was dressed as Clark Kent, Claira was an angel, and Luke was a teddy bear.
Jacob was very excited to be Superman/Clark Kent. He wore his suit over his Superman costume, combed his hair to the side, wore Papa Tom's old glasses, minus the lenses, and carried a Superman candy bag. He raced from house to house in his search for more candy.
Claira was originally going to be Wonder Woman and then a ladybug, but she absolutely refused to wear the costumes. She threw major tantrums and tried to rip the costumes off. Finally we gave up trying. She wore her flower girl dress from Stephen and Cammy's wedding with wings and a halo. Voila...instant angel! I curled her hair and even put a little makeup on her. She still threw a fit over the halo though and it was only on for a couple of pictures.
We trick-or-treated with our neighborhood friends the Pfeifers this year. Jason is a police officer and Lola is a teacher so we, of course, became instant buddies. They have two kids (with one on the way) and we play with them as often as we can. Claire had to hold Lola's hand most of the time. She adores Lola, mostly because she likes to say her name over and over. Luh-luh! Luke only made it to the next house before he decided to sleep during this trick-or-treating stuff.
We walked all the way around the block and the kids loved it! Claira ran most of the way in her dressy shoes and refused to let go of her candy bucket. She happily said "Tick Teat" to every house and "Tanks". Jacob was on a mission and kept running ahead, so I have no idea if he said Thanks. Just hoping. All in all, it was a great Halloween and we will be enjoying the candy, I mean memories, for weeks to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment